After you complete the parental consent process, you’ll be able to access the Parent Portal, which gives you access to your basic account information and control over individual privacy settings for each of your children.
Parent Account Information
At the top of the Parent Portal, to the top right of the MySciLife logo, are the following options:
- Edit profile: Select this option to initiate a password reset or edit your account information, including name, birthdate, and email address.
- Logout: Select this option to log out of the active session.
Child Account Information
The Parent Portal contains a separate listing for each child connected to your Parent account, visible on the left side of your screen. Each listing contains the following information:
- Personal Information: The child’s real name and MySciLife login name (in parenthesis).
- Communities: Names of all class communities to which the child belongs.
- Identities: Names of every identity the child has created.
- Last Login: Date/time stamp of the last time the child logged in.
- Parental Consent Status: Marked as either approved or disapproved.
Listings also contain two action options:
- Options: Allows you to edit the child’s basic account information, reset their password, or delete their account.
- Contact Student’s Teachers: Allows you to initiate an email to one of the child’s teachers by selecting the teacher’s name from the dropdown.
Child Privacy Settings – Account Status (Privacy Controls)
In the center of the screen, there are two sliders you can use to adjust each child’s account status. The initial settings on these sliders are determined by the permissions you selected during the parental consent process. (See Providing Consent For Your Child to Use MySciLife for more information.
You can change your child’s privacy setting at any time by adjusting these two sliders:
Account Slider: This slider can be adjusted three ways with the following outcomes:
- Disapprove (Inactive) – The child is locked out of the platform entirely.
- Approved (Read-Only) – The child can log in to the platform and browse content but cannot interact with content, make comments, or create posts.
- Approved (Active) – The child has full access to the platform and can interact with content, make comments, and create posts.
Public Sharing Slider: This slider can be adjusted two ways with the following outcomes:
- No – The student’s posts cannot be shared to the Main Stream. The Available on Public Stream checkbox set to Off by default.
- Yes – The student’s posts can be shared to the Main Stream. The Available on Public Stream checkbox set to ON by default.
NOTE: Adjusting this setting to No will not remove content previously shared to the Public Stream, but will govern the public sharing of all student content from that point forward.
On the right side of each child’s listing in the Parent Portal, you can view all of the badges they’ve earned during their participation in MySciLife.